Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
Reply to topic
A plan to prevent future spammings
The Internet King
The Internet King

Charlie requested me to post a list of suggestions he wrote to prevent further spammings. I think they are pretty good ideas.
Charlie wrote:
I believe I was the first person to see the massive spamming. I was very suprised that NO ONE, but the spammers and I were online at the same time. I warned Yoink and he tried his best to cool the spam (thanks Yoink) but they kept comming. Seems that they have more than one person working on this project to kill the forum. As a resolution, if you havn't already seen, I think we should

1) Have constant absent Admins to be replaced my active folks such as Gina, Gina Monster, Yoink, Jenny, Reb. I also believe we should have a monitor for every time zone in N. America. This way, when it happens, there will be a better chance of it getting solved.

2) Make a time limit between post. This will keep spam down greatly. Although it gets annoying it will help.

3) Do not let just anyone have a Signiture picture. We saw some sig, of those people. Either have anyone who wants to have a signature picture ask an admin to give them one, or only let a certain rank have a signature picture. It works for many of the other forums I got to.

Thanks a lot. Charlie
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

I agree about the signature picture.

as for the rest, I am already an admin, but cannot be online all the time, I'm not really supposed to be playing at work, even though I do.

I don't think Eddie wants to give admin rights to too many people. However, Rebturtle called me as soon as he bacame aware of the problm and I have been here working on it ever since. We have also involved lovemutt, and I think together we can take care of it.

Yoink, thank you so much for being there. I will talk to Eddie about making more admins when I can.

I do this because I am Dat's friend and I like to help however I can. But I cannot be here 24/7, you know?

Turtle Moderator

The timelimit setting is extremely easy to set up. I don't think we should block pictures yet, though. This has been a great, open-minded, and even liberal forum with an enourmous amount of tolerance. This should be treated as what it was: an isolated incident by young people with lots of free time. We reacted quickly and controlled it exceptionally well, given the circumstances. I'm not ready to allow others to dictate the terms upon which we operate. This is Our forum.

how many admins and mods are there? what if we reduce inactive admins, and have 2 mods per time area.. it works right?
View user's profileFind all posts by Charlie_Send private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

at the very least, I think there are mods in every time area. and I don't think we have any inactive admins

The Internet King

Sometimes I forget admins are there. It is a type of position in a forum where you do a lot of work that doesn't get recognized like banning IP's, organizing forums, reading piles of PM's and emails, and many, many more jobs. All these jobs are very time consuming.
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

Ginamonster wrote:
at the very least, I think there are mods in every time area. and I don't think we have any inactive admins

yeh but how many are as active as you and gina. Miss kristie, ryan, tony rayo, lady vader, heather, 9 nails. Im sure they are very busy with other things and cannot come, but if they cannot come, they cannot do too much good. sure they're great friends but, we need active.

maybe people like jenny(is she already a mod or admin? dont see her name in the regulators), jokesome, lostlibra
View user's profileFind all posts by Charlie_Send private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Charlie_ wrote:

yeh but how many are as active as you and gina. Miss kristie, ryan, tony rayo, lady vader, heather, 9 nails. Im sure they are very busy with other things and cannot come, but if they cannot come, they cannot do too much good. sure they're great friends but, we need active.

Charlie, thank you for considering what is in the best interests of the forum, but it's important to note the difference between an admin and a moderator. The admins do the behind-the-scenes work that doesn't really get examined very rigorously by the typical forum viewer. We do work hard, but not in the same way as moderators.

The moderators that volunteer here are often the most under-appreciated members of the forum as they have to keep the whole thing at a level of decency that is acceptable to Dat Phan and DatPhan.com, and that level is fairly strict. They get my respect and gratitude as an admin.

I am not an active member of the forum, so I really have no idea how much trash there is in these pages, but if the regulars are asking for more moderators then I'm inclined to agree. We'll see what we can do. And I'm a friend of Eddie's so I can just goose him and he'll do whatever I ask. Evil or Very Mad

Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man

yoink78 wrote:
Charlie requested me to post a list of suggestions he wrote to prevent further spammings. I think they are pretty good ideas.
Charlie wrote:
I believe I was the first person to see the massive spamming. I was very suprised that NO ONE, but the spammers and I were online at the same time. I warned Yoink and he tried his best to cool the spam (thanks Yoink) but they kept comming. Seems that they have more than one person working on this project to kill the forum. As a resolution, if you havn't already seen, I think we should

1) Have constant absent Admins to be replaced my active folks such as Gina, Gina Monster, Yoink, Jenny, Reb. I also believe we should have a monitor for every time zone in N. America. This way, when it happens, there will be a better chance of it getting solved.

2) Make a time limit between post. This will keep spam down greatly. Although it gets annoying it will help.

3) Do not let just anyone have a Signiture picture. We saw some sig, of those people. Either have anyone who wants to have a signature picture ask an admin to give them one, or only let a certain rank have a signature picture. It works for many of the other forums I got to.

Thanks a lot. Charlie

what spam are you guys talking about?

Site Admin

We've already cleaned it up, but it was graphically intensive and very inappropriate. I'll tell you when I see you next.

there's still one more spammer, I Eat Old People
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

I saw it first and messaged Ginamonster and Eddie. I am not an admin so there was little I could do.

It took me a while to clean things up. I take credit for cleaning up a lot of the forums. The rest of the mods and admins did all the banning and most of the work. Yay! It took till 10 pm eastern last night to restore this forum, but we did it!!! Very Happy

Last edited by user on Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Good job to everyone who helped.

I eat old people is banned.

there was about.... 5 of them right? they cost you guys lots of time... think of what it would be like if 10 or 20 people started comming and and spamming for 3 hours. try not to tell them how bad it was, they can always come back and start it again.
Dat Phabulous

I have never seen such disgusting spam in my life. It was just plain gross.
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

I totally agree!

Gina rocks!

McKenzie Nimrod wrote:
I have never seen such disgusting spam in my life. It was just plain gross.

Yes. I think we all agree with you.

In the future, the admins will be better prepared. I'll make sure they know how to lock the forum, so they can clean it at their liesure, or take their time determining exactly whom to block/ban. The faster you can lock it down, the less there is to clean up.