Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
Reply to topic
intentions
Diva

ok... so i can tell that i am coming the way wrong way to people in this forum which is not a good homecoming so to speak.

just fyi....

i'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. it's just that in the past year, my experience in this shtty place called earth has tainted my view of things.

it's easy to always assume the worst in what people say, what is meant as joke can be taken the completely wrong way, and what is meant as a simple oppinion can be viewed as prejudice.

i'm not trying to pick fights or to be a "d!ck" or anything. if you guys are forum veterans, you know that i am a nice person.

but i have developed a very sarcastic sense of humor. i'm not trying to be the way you all see me. but if you cannot handle lexi in the raw, then i will simply restrict my posts to boring nothings

and i will continue to privately fear for what will happen to you people when someone steps on your toes in the real world.

take me how you want to people.

an Alternative Lifestyles Company
View user's profileFind all posts by silver_lined_lexiSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Phabulous

Leave the comedy to the professionals.

Gina rocks!

There are some that cannot handle strong opinions around here.

There are some that can.

Several of the "forum veterans" post their strong opinions, and get negative feedback.

As long as opinions are posted with taste and class, it is welcome.

Lexi, believe it or else, I completely understand how you feel. You express your opinion and you feel like everyone is doing every thing they can to stifle you into shutting up.

(How close am I?)

The reason I say I understand is that I expressed the opinion that homosexuality is not an alternate lifestyle that I can accept as "normal". Even Eddie got into the fray calling me a homophobe. Later, he jokingly labeled me as "a lady killer, or gay", on johnheffron.com.

People who accept homosexuality as OK mistakenly thought I hated gay people. (For those reading this, I don't hate people, of any sort. Except English teachers who do nothing but a full semester of poetry...they should be put into concentration camps. Evil or Very Mad ) I accept the choice of homosexuality as a wrong choice, just like many here accept me living a Republican lifestyle. (Those people think I am wrong. I think they are wrong for being Democrats.) Most of you are not Republiphobic, (except for Eddie. He thinks I am Satan's spawn. But that is really bigPhan's lot in life. )

Now, enough about me. Lexi, I disagree with your stand about the military, and many other things. But the military is something near and dear to my heart, as well as many others on here. You know that in the postings about supporting our troops, there was emotional debate about it and the ethics of the military. You will note that as far as I recall, there were no personal attacks on you as a person, just attacks on an opinion you hold.

Sarcasm was used, and it is a vicious tool. It is good at defeating an idea, but it is not very good to convert someone to your side.

Sarcasm versus reasoned dialog can be compared to military action. Sarcasm is the nuclear bomb and reasoned dialog is house-to-house small arms combat.

Although you disagree with the military, I hope you understand my analogy.

Currently, our military has the goal of clearing out Fallujah, Iraq. We could have dropped a nuclear bomb, and turned it into a sea of glass. That could have cleared the city of all terrorists, but it would also get some civilians.

Instead, we are going house-to-house, taking fire and responding. Not everything is done conveniently, but we are lessening the casualties, and are less likely to injure innocents.

Bring that back to our conversation, Ernie. OK.

We can either be sarcastic, and just make ourselves sound smart. That may get the other side to shut up, but you also lose the people you could possibly get to convert to your side.

Or, you can use reasoned dialog. If your logic is strong, you can win points in the debate, and may actually convince some to agree with you.

What is your goal in posting? To get others to shut up, or to get others to agree with you? It can be either one at different times.

If all you do is sit back and launch the nukes of sarcasm, people will respond in kind with their own nukes...ever see the movie, "War Games"?

If all you do is the small arms fire of reasoned dialog, you could get nuked before you have a chance to take a shot.

In debates, it can escalate to nukes very quickly, if level heads are not maintained. As the debates do rise, someone does need to make sure things don't escalate...thank God for our moderators...the UN of our board.

I'm done. If you read all of it, I thank you greatly. If you didn't, I still thank you some. If you read none of it, I don't need to thank you because you wouldn't be reading this.

Sensei Ern

senseiern wrote:
Lexi, believe it or else, I completely understand how you feel. You express your opinion and you feel like everyone is doing every thing they can to stifle you into shutting up.

(How close am I?)

The reason I say I understand is that I expressed the opinion that homosexuality is not an alternate lifestyle that I can accept as "normal". Even Eddie got into the fray calling me a homophobe. Later, he jokingly labeled me as "a lady killer, or gay", on johnheffron.com.

People who accept homosexuality as OK mistakenly thought I hated gay people. (For those reading this, I don't hate people, of any sort. Except English teachers who do nothing but a full semester of poetry...they should be put into concentration camps. Evil or Very Mad ) I accept the choice of homosexuality as a wrong choice, just like many here accept me living a Republican lifestyle. (Those people think I am wrong. I think they are wrong for being Democrats.) Most of you are not Republiphobic, (except for Eddie. He thinks I am Satan's spawn. But that is really bigPhan's lot in life. )

Now, enough about me. Lexi, I disagree with your stand about the military, and many other things. But the military is something near and dear to my heart, as well as many others on here. You know that in the postings about supporting our troops, there was emotional debate about it and the ethics of the military. You will note that as far as I recall, there were no personal attacks on you as a person, just attacks on an opinion you hold.

Sarcasm was used, and it is a vicious tool. It is good at defeating an idea, but it is not very good to convert someone to your side.

Sarcasm versus reasoned dialog can be compared to military action. Sarcasm is the nuclear bomb and reasoned dialog is house-to-house small arms combat.

Although you disagree with the military, I hope you understand my analogy.

Currently, our military has the goal of clearing out Fallujah, Iraq. We could have dropped a nuclear bomb, and turned it into a sea of glass. That could have cleared the city of all terrorists, but it would also get some civilians.

Instead, we are going house-to-house, taking fire and responding. Not everything is done conveniently, but we are lessening the casualties, and are less likely to injure innocents.

Bring that back to our conversation, Ernie. OK.

We can either be sarcastic, and just make ourselves sound smart. That may get the other side to shut up, but you also lose the people you could possibly get to convert to your side.

Or, you can use reasoned dialog. If your logic is strong, you can win points in the debate, and may actually convince some to agree with you.

What is your goal in posting? To get others to shut up, or to get others to agree with you? It can be either one at different times.

If all you do is sit back and launch the nukes of sarcasm, people will respond in kind with their own nukes...ever see the movie, "War Games"?

If all you do is the small arms fire of reasoned dialog, you could get nuked before you have a chance to take a shot.

In debates, it can escalate to nukes very quickly, if level heads are not maintained. As the debates do rise, someone does need to make sure things don't escalate...thank God for our moderators...the UN of our board.

I'm done. If you read all of it, I thank you greatly. If you didn't, I still thank you some. If you read none of it, I don't need to thank you because you wouldn't be reading this.

Sensei Ern

Looks like Sensei had a big bowl of crazy for breakfast.
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

The breakfast of champions, LW!

Why do you think they're called "Fruit Loops"? And that dumb bird is always going coocoo for Cocoa Puffs? And, why do you think the stupid rabbit just doesn't go out and buy his own bowl and milk and Trix? ANd why doesn't Lucky just wave his magic wand and make all of the Lucky Charms we could eat?

I'll tell you why. Because breakfast does make you crazy. Breakfast causes Tourettes, kleptomania, and irrational misering.

Delicious Monster

I think he makes sense. No one here is attacking lexi, but Lexi, for those who don't know your particular brand of wit, you can come accross as abrasive. and while it is true that people tend to overreact, it may be a good idea for you to handle people a little more gently. an unkind word, even in sarcasm, can never be fully retracted.

I haven't seen anybody attack Lexi. People attacking you and people not finding you funny are two different things.

perhaphs she has re-read her post and in her eyes see that this might offend someone. She is telling us that she does not mean to be offensive, and is just saying what she is feeling.

I like her posts. Touch of cynicallity makes it unique. Like a Lexi George Carlin

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
ok... so i can tell that i am coming the way wrong way to people in this forum which is not a good homecoming so to speak.

just fyi....

i'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. it's just that in the past year, my experience in this shtty place called earth has tainted my view of things.

it's easy to always assume the worst in what people say, what is meant as joke can be taken the completely wrong way, and what is meant as a simple oppinion can be viewed as prejudice.

i'm not trying to pick fights or to be a "d!ck" or anything. if you guys are forum veterans, you know that i am a nice person.

but i have developed a very sarcastic sense of humor. i'm not trying to be the way you all see me. but if you cannot handle lexi in the raw, then i will simply restrict my posts to boring nothings

and i will continue to privately fear for what will happen to you people when someone steps on your toes in the real world.

Do you think this "philosophy" of yours gives you the right to behave like an a/hole?
Dat Phabulous

Why can't we all just get along?
View user's profileFind all posts by invisiblemanSend private messageSend e-mail
Dat Phabulous

I totally agree with mighty wind. If you don't like people acting like a jerk to you why do you do it to others. Just because others in the real world will do it does not give you the right to be a jerk. You don't have to be a jerk to people just because you think everyone in the real world is a jerk. There are a lot of nice people out there. Maybe the reason why the world is such a bad place is because there are so many people out there who think the same way you do.

Dat Phabulous

silver_lined_lexi wrote:

m veterans, you know that i am a nice person.
i will continue to privately fear for what will happen to you people when someone steps on your toes in the real world.

Aren't you the one how made a big deal out of absolutely nothing. Nobody even said anything negative towards you before you wrote this.

Lets all calm down before we lose it on one another and we have lasting damages.

None of us wants any enemies on this site.
View user's profileFind all posts by invisiblemanSend private messageSend e-mail
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

err familyguy, i believe the whole reason of her thread was to tell people she's not trying to be a jerk but her jokes sometimes point in that direction.

and... I also believe the point of this thread is to inform people that what she is saying are only jokes before somebody else starts to make a big deal out of it.

Anyways, different people build diversity in our little dat phan community. Im not sure if you guys have realized this yet but we have already tackled a lot of life's problems on this forum.

Love,School,Hatred,Racism,losing friends,bunch of stupid dumbas$ spammers, the way I see it, this forum is preparing us for life. Some people would pay hundreds to learn about this crap we take for granted everyday lol. So, solve this problem using w/e skills you have. Everyone can always improve.

Nice, Charlie. I agree. As I read the posts I realized that the real world is what it is. There are things said that you don't like, hurt feelings, but the written word can be weird sometimes. Without facial expressions, sarcasm can be taken for fact, and that's just how it is. Let's just try to remember that we are all here for a reason. And the diversity in this forum is one of it's greatest assets. No one is out to hurt anyone. And I know that Lexi is just the sarcastic Diva that she was meant to be. Wink

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Diva

Well, I am certainly glad that people actually read my posts. hey i was just trying to say i am going to tone down my oppinion.

no worries. but if people feel that i'm acting like a d!ck, jerk, a$$, um... what were the other ones... anyway. then, i apologize.

as for people not finding me funny. no worries there, that's the story of my life. by the way we are all here because we find dat funny.

View user's profileFind all posts by silver_lined_lexiSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

wow we're getting a little deep here

Does...not...compute...9357tn5twn433$%^$^@T....................clank

Diva

senseiern, i wasn't refering to those posts, about the military thing. i was refering to other things. but wow, this is unnecessary stress people. let's just all calm down.

this whole thing was an apology on my behalf

i wasn't accusing anyone of anything, so no need to justify your oppinion of my oppinions.

intentions