Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
Reply to topic
Islamic Crescent is the proposed memorial for 9/11
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

The above image is the proposed memorial to Flight 93, that fought against the terrorists and downed the plane in Pennsylvania. The transition is only to show clearly the crescent.

The red crescent is a symbol of islam.

While I know many of us here are tolerant of many things, but as one person put it, "this is like making the Holocost Memorial in the shape of the swastika."

I hope you all are angered by this as I am. Those that have an influence, please work to get this stopped.

Sensei Ern
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Fan

It looks very interesting to me. But then again I'm Muslim.

The Internet King

I only don't like it because it only represents one religion. I think that any symbol that solely represents one religion is no good, since this is a memorial for people who died that were of many different religions. A cross with Jesus or something like that would be just as bad, since that would also represent only one religion. They need something international, nothing religious, because if it is religious, it will just cause anger and offend some people.

Last edited by user on Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

I agree, Yoink.
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Phanaholic

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. I don't hear anyone else bitching about it.
The Internet King
The Internet King

Lester Wong wrote:
I'm sure it's just a coincidence. I don't hear anyone else bitching about it.
Could be. I've never heard about this memorial before, so I wasn't sure if it was intentionally structured in a certain shape or symbol or not, but now Id' have to agree, it does look like it could just be coincedental. But if it is intentional, I think they need to pick something that's not religious, or too political. In general, things that are too political seem to cause big controversy too.
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

It isn't only the Muslims that claim the crescent. Would you be less offended it it were a cross? I would be slighly affronted because so often our government, when designing memorials, forgets that not all Americans are Christian. I wouldn't throw a fit though. It is not the fault of Islam that there are terrorists. It is the fault of the radicals and the clerics that twist the word of Allah for their own adjendas. Our argument is with them, not the majority of those that follow the muslim faith.

I agree. It is not a memorial to a religion. I wouldn't want it to be a cross simply because many of the people on the flight were not Christians.

It is a memorial to remember the bravery of those passengers in stopping another terrorist attack on our nation's capital.

But, please, every one of the terrorists named the name of Allah. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all of the 9/11 terrorists were Islamic. Of course, not all terrorists are Muslim, Tim McVey was neither Christian nor Muslim. But, the 9/11 terrorists were.
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

all too true, unfortunately. Many bad things have also been done in the name of Christ...

You are right, but i doubt the victims raised a cross, symbolizing the faith of the criminal, unless the victim was also a Christian. I haven't seen any Lebanese erecting a Star of David to commemorate Israel's move into Lebanon.
Re: Islamic Crescent is the proposed memorial for 9/11
The Wonders of Magic Shell

[quote="senseiern"]

While I know many of us here are tolerant of many things, but as one person put it, "this is like making the Holocost Memorial in the shape of the swastika."[quote="senseiern"]

WOW. I totally disagree with that statement. Being Jewish, I took offense. I was also married to a muslim. Islam is a peaceful religion. All religions have extremists. And if we are going to claim all half circles as cresent moons, we may as well bury ourselves now. No room for the hate.

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Re: Islamic Crescent is the proposed memorial for 9/11
Dat Fan

I completely agree with jennyko - it is a bit ridiculous (conspiracy theory-ish) to think that the half circle shape was designed specifically to represent islam. i would also submit that a symbol of islam is not really analogous to the nazi's "SS". These terrorists were psychotic individuals, similar to the wacked out Waco folks who thought what they were doing was in the name of religion and their wacked out interpretation of the Bible.

Daphne, even though they were misguided, the Branch Davidians were not psychotic. David Karesh was a nut job, and he did put many people in jeopardy. The psychotic ones were the federal agents who went after him at the post instead of arresting him at the local store.

Owning guns does not make a person a nut.
Dat Fan

The atf agents were just stupid, not psychotic. ok, maybe the branch dividians weren't "psychos" but definitely had psychological problems to be able to be mislead as they were. I agree that having a gun doesn't make you psycho. There are plenty of gun toting folks that are perfectly normal, productive members of society.