Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Movie and play reviews
Dat Phanaholic

Went to see a movie or a play, and it stunk? Or was it better than you could ever imagine? Post here about it

I saw Spiderman 2 this weekend. It was and is incredible. Raimi did a fantastic job adhering to the original comic strip.

My favorite two actors in the movie though, are Bruce Campbell, who played the doorman to the theatre...he looks like he gained weight from his Brisco County Jr days, though, and the yellow car. That yellow car has been in every Raimi movie since his days as a high school kid making Super 8 movies.

Doc Oc was played very well and the story reflected the relationship Parker and the Doc had in the comic books. I am so glad that Computer Graphics have improved to the point they look real.

My only Gotcha! in the movie was when Parker and Red are sitting in the deli and the car flies through the window. You can see it in the commercials and the previews on DVDs promoting the movie...we saw it first on the Cold Mountain DVD.

If you watch the car flying through the glass, the wheels ar not moving. But, when it flies over the heads of Parker and Red, the wheels are spinning. Then, when it lands upside down, the wheels have stopped.
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Phanaholic

I'm probably going to see Spiderman this Saturday. I have seen two other movies and a play though!

King Arthur- Well, if you're a huge King Arthur fan, like my best friend is, you're going to hate this movie because it contradicts a lot of the original stories. Even if you're not a huge fan, it still is a bit strange. Arthur and his knights are controlled by the Romans, which is an interesting aspect to me. Gwenivere (can't spell!) and Merlin are picts- at least they remembered in the movie to paint them blue..hehe! The whole movie is basically lots of fights and not that interesting after the beginning. I was also disapointed with the guy who played Lancelot. He was pretty decent on Horatio Hornblower, but I didn't like him at all in this movie!!

Harry Potter- Very good, as usual! The beginning was very funny! I like the fact that they have a new director, it adds a new flavor and stlye to the movie. You can see some differences in the director's style (well, then again i am a drama major!) which I think is good because the movies are beginning to get darker now, and less yay- we're- all- happy Hogwart's students! The movie is full of creativity, and a good twist- well, for me anyway cos I haven't read the books yet, except for #1. It's also nice to see all the actors starting to grow up and mature.

Candide- at a small community theater- Hmm...didn't really like this. The music seemed repetive, and so did the lyrics- they were always singing about the same thing it seemed like to me. I guess it was for older people, everyone seemed to enjoy it except for my best friend and I! It didn't seem to have much of a plot at first, too. You just jumped onto a ship and pirates were wandering around going he-yarrr for no reason...the costumes were cool though!

Around the world in 80 Days is a movie full of jokes, I thought that they would have blown half of the jokes in the commercials but there's always something funny at least every 5 minutes. This is the first good jackie chan movie in a while. Full of strange suprises which i aint revelling and chan is back with his comedy martial arts.
View user's profileFind all posts by Charlie_Send private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Phanaholic

Didn't get to see Spidey after all- we thought it was at 8, and it wasn't. But we went to see I, Robot instead.

I wasn't sure how I was going to like it from the previews. It looked like it would be a yay-let's-destruct-everything-to-look-awesome kinda movie, if you know what I mean! But it really wasn't. Will Smith played a cop- he actually wasn't too bad. Anyway, the whole movie reminded me of Pinochio, a historical fiction movie about a revolition, and scifi rolled into one- and that makes it sound bad, but it wasn't, lol. The storyline was pretty interesting, and there was a lot of different aspects that you could enjoy. It alos makes you think about what the future maybe like, and what could happen if you're not careful with machienes.

in the past couple of weeks, i have seen a movie every week.
spiderman - pimp
anchorman - funny
i, robot - good
bourne supremacy - good but a bit confusing at points

pimp?

Movies I've watched this week.

Spider-Man 2- Im left wondering if Peter and his friend are back together now or is the friend going to dress up at the goblin and therefore setting up another sequal

My Baby's Daddy- This movie is hilarious and its got a message at the end. I loved it

Catch Me If You Can- One of my favourite movies of all time, sure its kinda long but it keeps you thinking and wondering.

Forrest Gump- I cant believe I just watched it a few days ago. Its not bad but not too great either. I like how the movie goes from past to present tense but I feel like they've forgotten something at the end.

Stuck On You- This isnt the most funniest movie I've seen but it is very funny. It's got a good story and the ending is suprising.

Around the world in 80 days- I say this would be my favourite jackie chan movie. Made me laugh at least once every 5 minutes, and it's a good thing I got the dvd or else they might have kicked me out of the theatre for disturbing the viewers.

Eurotrip- Its not a boob fest like many people think. Actually it only has about 3 30sec-1 minute scenes. The whole story does seem fake and how they get out of trouble seems fake but some parts made me laugh til it hurt.

Im going to go watch White Chicks and 13 going on 30 now, I'll give you a review soon

White Chicks- Really crappy movie. Some parts are just boring, and confusing. The ending seemed like it was cut short. Dont suggest you go see it

yeah, I didn't like it either. It had a couple of funny parts, if you like fart jokes.

My wife loves fart jokes. She doesn't laugh at anything else. A movie could be as boring as anything, but you add uncontrolable flatulence and she is rolling on the floor. But, for some reason, she doesn't think it's funny when I do it.

Delicious Monster

I saw "The Village" last night. It was not what you would expect, but I did like it. I would recommend going to see it with as few expectations as possible so that you can enjoy the story.

I want to see the Village! Anyway, I rented 10 Things I Hate About You cos I love Heath Ledger (c'mon...Australian accent, cute hair, tall, what more could you want?) and he's completely adorable in it! At first hi character seemed like it would just be in a little bit, but as the movie went on, he was in it a heck of a lot more. Ahhh he SINGS in it! ::spaz:: The movie is pretty funny, too. I went on a HL movie craze and watched The Four Feathers and The Patirot. I realized that the Patriot kinda jumps around in the filimg aspect. But, uh, then again, I was watching Heath more...I love the Four Feathers, it's an awesome movie. Watching the special features made me admire the director, and gain some insight in the movie!
Finally say Mr. Spidey! Eh, I didn't really want to see it, don't like Kirsten Dunst at all, but it still was good. I love the guy who played the scientist though, he was in Chocolat and I LOVE that movie! I thought the ending was kinda strange though, Spidey seems to be trying to be a couple diff genres at once, and it doesn't quite work as nicely as some others. I think you should go see it though, cos I was just being biased, you know?

BUBBA HOTEP

This is a must for any Bruce Campbell fan...of which I am.

The premise is that a mummy is killing people at a retirement center, in order to feed off their life energy to survive.

In this center is Elvis (played by Bruce Capbell), as he would be today, had he lived...the movie explains how he survived. Also, in the center is a man (played by Ozzie Davis) who thinks he is JFK...he blames his being in the home and everything else as a cover up by Lyndon Johnson...he even blames his being black as a conspiracy by LBJ.

This movie is adult oriented and should not be viewed by anyone under 18. (There's no nudity, but younger people will not get the subtle humor, plus a lot of 4 letter bombs are dropped in the movie, as well as a couple off-color graphics.)

I always enjoy Bruce Campbell, except maybe in "Gold Rush". He did not disappoint me in Bubba Hotep.

Sensei Ern

Delicious Monster

I saw that as a release on netflix. perhaps I will put it on my list based on your review.

i saw harold and kumor go to white castle the other day. another very funny movie that has non-stop laughs.

Delicious Monster

ooh ooh, I want to see that!

13 going on 30 was not too bad. The realism of just becoming 30 was good for the first half and then suddenly the girl got some super sense that made her talk and act like a grown up. very strange

Charlie_ wrote:
The realism of just becoming 30 was good for the first half

That's how I felt 2 years ago!

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phanaholic

I just recently saw The Village. WOW...what a let down. The movie was soo predictable! I was really dissapointed with it. And you could see a microphone in one of the scenes, too. They need better editing!

I also saw the Bourne Supremacy. Since I really didn't want to see it, but would rather not stay home and do nothing, I guess I shouldn't comment on it!

jennyko72 wrote:
Charlie_ wrote:
The realism of just becoming 30 was good for the first half

That's how I felt 2 years ago!
aww reaching mid life crisis soon