Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Why must people hate Rap? read, PLEASE!
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

Please, for those of you who hate rap, PLEASE read this, and take into consideration that RAP IS A LEGIT GENRE OF MUSIC THAT GOES BEYOND WHAT MTV SHOVES DOWN YOUR THROAT

Rap and hip-hop emerged as a single genre and made a basic split in the early 90s when gangsta rap struck out on its own. Both genres are perfectly valid forms of musical expression, and have a vast number of unique aspects that I don't think the modern musical world can do without: innovations in beat, rhythm, vocals and production that have influenced everything since.

The "oldschool" 80s groups like Afrika Bambaataa, Run DMC and Public Enemy perfected the stripped-down yet aggressive sound rap originally had, but the schism in the early 90s expanded it a great deal. Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, produced by the Neptunes, perfected the almost-minimalist sound of gangsta rap. Soon afterwards came the realm of trip-hop, spearheaded by Tricky and Massive Attack; traditional hip-hop took several routes, including one fronted entirely by live instrumentation like the Roots. Modern rap, meanwhile, has adopted an almost overproduced sound, which is exemplified in the spectacular work of Outkast. Hip-hop is currently in the process of "merging" with electronic music, producing such incredible and innovative acts as Deltron 3030, Dr. Octagon, Prefuse 73 and various artists on the Ninja Tune label.

And the concept of rap being nothing but "b**ches and hos" is absolute bullplop. If nothing else, look at the work of KRS-One, long hailed as "the conscience of hip-hop," who actively critiques these stereotypes. "Oldschool" groups like Public Enemy also functioned as very acerbic, frank social critics, with individuals like Chuck D having every bit as much clout, relevance and cred as Jello Biafra. While modern rap may be dominated by the "bling bling" stereotype, the genre itself is in no way inherently rooted in it. As a matter of fact, I must here draw a comparison between rap and, of all things, folk music. Hear me out:

-Both genres function primarily as a vehicle for storytelling, with the vocals taking the primary focus of both song tone and purpose.
-Both genres, in their storytelling, focus primarily on the experiences and lifestyle of the individual, both as cultural critique and example of his society.
-Both styles are very frank, yet often humorous and witty, in their storytelling.

From Run DMC to N.W.A. to Eminem to Tricky to EVERYBODY in between, this modus operandi is nearly universal to rap and hip-hop music.

If you want to hear some GOOD examples of the way hip-hop and rap have evolved, listen to: The Roots, Prefuse 73, Afrika Bambaataa, Blackalicious, Deltron 3030, Nightmares on Wax, Dr. Octagon, Portishead, Lauryn Hill, De La Soul, Cannibal Ox, Snoop Doggy Dogg, N.W.A., Ice Cube, Outkast, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Thievery Corporation, A Tribe Called Quest, and Wu-Tang. And STEP THE HECK OFF before you think of spouting such hackneyed quips as "lal the c in rap must be silant."

Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

i dont gotta read ALL of that do i?

to answer ur question... lost of people like it, lots dont, its like classical music, lots like it, lots dont. maybe more dont because of age groups...

Viet_Huy wrote:
i dont gotta read ALL of that do i?

to answer ur question... lost of people like it, lots dont, its like classical music, lots like it, lots dont. maybe more dont because of age groups...

Well, you don't HAVE to. Basically I was elaborating on how not all rap is like the mtv-version rap you see that's shoved into little kids' ears every day.

Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Although rap is not my favorite, I actually like it very much.

I love Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Run DMC, Eminem, lots of old school stuff and lots of the newer stuff.

I love how rap and hard rock have kind of fused together into a cool new sound. Kid Rock, Beastie Boys, Limp Biscut, Eminem have all put out songs that mesh rap and rock together. I love it!

And the best song of all time that started it all....Aerosmith and Run DMC doing Walk This Way. Yes folks, that was originally a ROCK song, not a rap song. But the two put together kicked BUTT! (sorry...just saw Aerosmith in concert this week...I am on an Aerosmith thing at the moment )

That's my opinion on all of this.

kid rock does country music now... didnt anyone hear that song "picture" with whats her face? or is this another kid rock?

Proudly A Loser.

I enjoy rap highly, and I would just like to add SPM to the list of rap to listen to.
SPM (South Park Mexican) is great.
I am also fond of Little T and One Track Mike. Check both out damnit.

The Internet King
The Internet King

Viet_Huy wrote:
kid rock does country music now... didnt anyone hear that song "picture" with whats her face? or is this another kid rock?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was Kid Rock. I typed in picture on Kazaa and Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow came up.
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Dat Fan

I don't like rap espeicially because I consider it more poetic than musical. But then I don't like that many lyrical songs to begin with. I respect rap and definitely acknowledge its importance as the art of an all too often underrepresented (and exploited) class. I'm sure your right when you say MTV doesn't accurately convey the diversity of rap artists out there. And there is some rap I like. I think I'll listen to some Snoop right now actually.
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Viet_Huy wrote:

Yes, it was Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow.

When it comes to rap, well, I only knew what I was shown. And of course, most of what others around me listen to were the same quality. I never hated rap as an art form, but I did hate how it's used in moder society. As you expressed, the 'bling bling' sterotype is what I disliked. But there is some rap I like, that actually express a true idea and a unique idea and is not the same crap being played over and over again just to make money. That's my two cents...thanks for the lession!

Viet_Huy wrote:

Actually, Kid Rock for the longest time has had Country type songs, but since he also has the image that he does, he was never considered a Country singer till he released his song with Sheryl Crow. Also an interesting thought, me being a fan of country, we traded the Dixie Chicks (now gone to Pop) for Sheryl Crow who know does country. I like that trade.

The Internet King

votey wrote:
Viet_Huy wrote:

Actually, Kid Rock for the longest time has had Country type songs, but since he also has the image that he does, he was never considered a Country singer till he released his song with Sheryl Crow. Also an interesting thought, me being a fan of country, we traded the Dixie Chicks (now gone to Pop) for Sheryl Crow who know does country. I like that trade.
Wow. I find that hard to believe that kid rock does those two totally different types of music. They're so different. Most people that like one of those types of music definitley dislikes the other.
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Kid Rock says a lot of his background is country. He started off hard rock, threw a little rap into it, and has slower ballads with more of a country side to them. Variety is good.

gina been doing her research i see

Gina rocks!

Viet_Huy wrote:
gina been doing her research i see

Actually I am just a Kid Rock fan.

Kid Rock = disgrace to music.

Sorry, personal thoughts only.

Country
Dat Fan

To say country and rock are different from eachother is kinda silly...no offense. If you look at the genology of music, you'll find that after classical music and folk, which lasted like forever, we then had Country and Jazz and most modern musics, including R&B, Rap, Rock, and modern Country, evolved from these two styles of music. Listen to the Alabama song "Mountain Music". Increase the tempo of the electric guitar, and you'd have a good rock tune...or atleast a mediorce one.

Dat Fan

votey wrote:
To say country and rock are different from eachother is kinda silly...no offense. If you look at the genology of music, you'll find that after classical music and folk, which lasted like forever, we then had Country and Jazz and most modern musics, including R&B, Rap, Rock, and modern Country, evolved from these two styles of music. Listen to the Alabama song "Mountain Music". Increase the tempo of the electric guitar, and you'd have a good rock tune...or atleast a mediorce one.

A side note I forgot to add...Also look at the Dixie Chicks. Which I do think are an embarressment to Country, but that aside, they had a song which wasn't exactly country (if you ignore the twang in their voice), and it was "Kill Earl" It's suppose to be a funny song, but still not what country is about.

Computer Expert

In the 80's, rap ruled. Run DMC, LL Cool J, Whodini... Now that was rap! Right up to Ice-T, then it went down hill from there...

Nothing left but a bunch of middle school kids grabing their just-arrived patch of pubic hairs, talk'n about who has the best wheels on their cars, who has the most drugs, who has the sluttiest women, and who has the loaded guns. F$ck Rap! It isn't fun-loving any more.

Gina rocks!

9Nails...so true...80s rap kicked butt! Definitely not the same anymore.