Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

u play chess?
yes
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
no
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

any one play chess?
Dat Fan

Does anyone play chess?
if so please leave some tips/strategies/openings please.

i recently started playing chess seriously for the chess team at my high school and im sorta a newb at it.

I tried once. I lost. Badly. I had an awesome teacher, though.

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

i like horseys :)

i kill queen first, than trap king... use their own men to check mate their king by blocking all moving possibilities

Gina rocks!

This may sound frightening but I am 26 and have no clue how to play chess

Iplay, but not very well...

my dad is 43 and he dont noe how to play chess, lol gina hitting her premature mid life crisis already?

Gina wrote:
This may sound frightening but I am 26 and have no clue how to play chess

Not frightening... I played once. In November.

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Chess anyone
Dat Fan

I learned to play chess when I was five. During my school life, I was apart of the chess club (in elementry not high school) and learned a few things there. I still play chess when I can, and global chess if I can find others to play with. I'm ok player, except to those who aren't good, then Im great. The key to playing chess is stradegy and learning. As redundant as that sounds, you must constantly have stradegy and be able to pick up on his stradegy. Now if you're only playing someone for a onetime match, the learning curve isn't that great and you'll have to hope your stradegy is greater than his. But if you get to play a few games, or even play withsome one often, I suggest losing the first few games. While this will give him ample room to gloat, what he doesn't realize is that you're learning his weaknesses. The way you should loose is to make completely illogical moves, like sacraficing two peices just to gain one of his. That throws a lot of people off. After you figure out is tatics, you need to develope you own. I strongly urge not to use your queen right away. While it is the most powerful piece, if you become dependant upon it, once the queen is captured, you have lost the game. Second, two things to remeber, one, make him attack you first and never be on the same level, always have the advantage over him. Now your pawns will see a lot of action on the battleground. They tend to make the first kill, and near the end, are one of your more important peices. Remeber you can block pawns by having another peice directly in front of it. Now the Bicshop and Knight are your prime peices. They are good at cornering other piece, especially the king. The rook is a good peice too, but you'll hardly use it right away unless you do a castle, which then that will help you get it in the battle faster. The rook is a slow peice, and should only be used later in the game, or if you want to get the queen. Usually it takes me both my rooks to get the queen, but trust you and me, it's worth it. I guess the only true advice I can give is not to be afraid to take risks. If you ever saw the film 'The Search for Bobby Fisher', there were two philophies to winning at chess. 'Play to win' or 'Play not to loose.' The difference in these philophies, Playing to win, means you're more willing to sacrifice and take risks more often. Play not to loose, means you won't take a piece unless it give you a greater stratigeic advantage. You can't start playing chess and be good, you've got to play until you find your stradegy, and constaly inprove it and improvise. I don't know what more I can say about chess...
Chris Votey

:shock:

The person who controls the center of the board usually controls the game. What I mean by that is, always be thinking about having your pieces able to attack squares in the middle of the board. It forces your opponent to divide his attack around the edges of the board and gives you an advantage.

I recommend getting a chess book and studying a few openings and learning them well. If you take the time to learn the first 6 or so moves of a few different tried and true openings, you will put yourself in a good position to control the game. All of the common openings focus on getting control of the middle of the board, and opening up lines of attack for as many of your pieces as possible in the shortest amount of time. My personal favorite is the Queen's Gambit. Good luck!
Dat Fan

Jokesonme has a good point, but pieces like the bishop and the Knight are able to get around other pieces quite easily, so upon having a good oposition in the center square, don't ingore defending you king. I try to build a primiter around the king to prevent anyone from direct access. They had to sacrifice a few pieces to break me. Though I do agree the first six are impeartive, however you spell that. Everyone has their own way to play. Different openings, theories, setups; there are probably a million different things to be done with chess. Do research and keep playing. Go online and play if you need, I prefer in person, but there are a lot of online people that will play you so you can figure out what to do.

votey wrote:
Different openings, theories, setups; there are probably a million different things to be done with chess.

That is what makes the game so appealing, and why a person can play it their whole life and never get bored with it
Diva

captin of the chess club aand prom queen??? yes that's me! lexi! worship me

an Alternative Lifestyles Company
View user's profileFind all posts by silver_lined_lexiSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
captin of the chess club aand prom queen??? yes that's me! lexi! worship me

Does this involve the kissing of feet?
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

I have issues with the thought of kissing anyone's feet.

um no lips touch the feet but, you can adore me like everyone else, and adore gina too because she ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an Alternative Lifestyles Company
View user's profileFind all posts by silver_lined_lexiSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

I have you all beat...Dat Phan tought me to play chess. Shocked

I just had to take that opportunity to brag.

Gina rocks!

Ginamonster wrote:
I have you all beat...Dat Phan tought me to play chess. Shocked

I just had to take that opportunity to brag.

Yeah yeah....show off

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
um no lips touch the feet but, you can adore me like everyone else, and adore gina too because she ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jokesonme already knows I rock

back at cha!