Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
Reply to topic
January 30th, 10:30 PM
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man

So Dat will be doing his 1/2 Hour special, which won't be any new material sadly. He burned all his material on Last Comic Standing: The first semi-final round and then the finals, the 2 challenges, and then the Final 5 performance and then the final "Fun" performance with him and Ralphie. So Last Comic Standing turned a no-name comic with about 30 minutes into a house hold name with no new material. Adding up the minutes, they showed about 2-4 minutes are gone from the first shows, 4 per challenge (so we're up to 12 minutes gone), and then 5 for the voting day, and another 10 for the last fun performance. In all, he burned up all his A material. I'm not saying that 30 was his A material. He had about 10-15 minutes of A material, which is why it seemed pretty hackneyed. On top of all that, he appeared on the Tonight Show to do another 4 minutes and then Craig Kilborn for another 4 minutes.

I'm sorry to tell you guys that the 1/2 Hour special was filmed just a month after Last Comic Standing ended. And while the general public may think that's enough time to write new material, it's not. We get emails asking Dat to write new material and people telling us all comics write 30 minutes in their sleep. I'm wondering who they know.

So we filmed Comedy Central presents right after LCS. There goes another 30 minutes... most of it is stuff you've heard before, some new. But when that airs, it'll be out there.

So get ready to laugh you ass off January 30th, 2004. Comedy Central, 10:30 PM

Gina rocks!

If I have said it once, I will say it again. New material, old material, Dat is FUNNY.

All good things come to those who wait. New material will come soon. Patience is a virtue

Looking forward to seeing the show. And YES Lexi...I will tape it for you Very Happy

In case I miss it, will there be a way to watch it online? (Cuz I don't think I will be able to watch it. Crying or Very sad )
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

yoink78 wrote:
In case I miss it, will there be a way to watch it online? (Cuz I don't think I will be able to watch it. Crying or Very sad )

Why can't you watch it Yoinkles? Sad

im watching it most definitely! its the day after my bday!

The Internet King

I think I should be able to watch it, but I'm not sure for certain that I will be able to.
View user's profileFind all posts by userSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
The Internet King
The Internet King

That was so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I just loved it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Agree with Yoink....the show was good...his timing was good...he knew how to work the crowd and they loved him.

And the thing he did at the very end....that had me in stitches...

I didn't see it. Yoink, do you know when the Comedy channel in Canada is gonna have it? perhaps tomorrow at 10:00, or is that the HBO special?

Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Tenkuu wrote:
I didn't see it. Yoink, do you know when the Comedy channel in Canada is gonna have it? perhaps tomorrow at 10:00, or is that the HBO special?

I taped it. If you want a copy let me know.

Gina wrote:
Tenkuu wrote:

I taped it. If you want a copy let me know.
That just might be the best thing to do since comedy central presents doesn't come to Canadian cable, only satellite. Crying or Very sad
I missed it too!
Dat Fan Newbie

I totally blanked out and forgot about the showtime. Comedy Central seems to never rerun the Comedy Central Presents shows, so Gina, I would love to have a copy of the show too if its not any trouble.
Dat Fan

I found the entire show to be extremely racist.

One racist joke stretched over 30 minutes.

I really don't understand what you guys are referring to when you say that his material was good.

I'm not trying to flame, I just don't understand how you guys can say that he had a good show.

is chris rock's material racist when he busts on black people
is jeff foxworthy racist when he busts on rednecks

the fact that people can laugh about their culture and what makes them different is what makes us grow as people

that is why dat is funny, he's funny because he makes people laugh at the quirks and the oddities that are unique to themselves

if you are overly sensitive and view everything as a negative hidden message conspiracy theory, then you probably wouldn't think that dat is funny

an Alternative Lifestyles Company
View user's profileFind all posts by silver_lined_lexiSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Fan

When will everyone realise that Dat fills a niche...a niche no one wanted/needed filled. He's the poor mans Margaret Cho...

Wasn't he supposed to get a sitcom deal? Did it even make it past the casting stage?

I can just imagine the casting execs...

"Well bullpoopy...Dat Phan, eh? And we have to put him on the show? Is Pat Morita available? lets back burner this show immediatly."

Will

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
is chris rock's material racist when he busts on black people

Yes, but Chris Rock does not spend his entire act saying "My mother would say, 'Yes suh, boss. I's gwonna make you a real nice suppah, boss!'" Chris Rock is probably the smartest comic working and his material covers the entire spectrum of comedy. Politics (which Dat never does), cultures other than his own (which Dat might want to try one of these days), marriage, kids... Chris Rock makes Dat Phan look like Dat Phan).

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
is jeff foxworthy racist when he busts on rednecks

And the last time Jeff Foxworthy was on TV was... OH! When he was given a sitcom that no one watched because HIS one joke got tired. There but for the grace of God go you, Dat.

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
the fact that people can laugh about their culture and what makes them different is what makes us grow as people

that is why dat is funny, he's funny because he makes people laugh at the quirks and the oddities that are unique to themselves

if you are overly sensitive and view everything as a negative hidden message conspiracy theory, then you probably wouldn't think that dat is funny

On a scale of one to ten, you're insipid. So, Dat spending all of his time talking about how Asian sound stupid when they speak English MAKES US GROW AS PEOPLE?

Is there an intelligent person on these boards that can help me with this one?

once again, if you're Asian, you probably won't get a lot of the subtext in his work. There's a lot of little things that you people won't get
Dat Fan

CrimsonSun wrote:
once again, if you're Asian, you probably won't get a lot of the subtext in his work. There's a lot of little things that you people won't get

Yes, but I am not Asian. In fact, I am so not Asian that my stomach can't process rice.

Therefore, I ask again, why can't someone explain to me why all the hubbub, bub?

The man (Dat Phan) is just not funny.

He isn't.

Every one of his jokes PERPETUATE the very stereotypes that you people claim he "sends up".

Feh.

me aglee. dat phan noooo phunny!

-merjo
Dat Fan Newbie

Location: Birmingham, AL (Where there's absolutely nothing interesting. To me anyway.)
Alex Dample wrote:

Yes, but I am not Asian. In fact, I am so not Asian that my stomach can't process rice.

That was stupid. You know that, right?
View user's profileFind all posts by Kathleen_cnySend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
January 30th, 10:30 PM