Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
Reply to topic
Crying or Laughing???
Dat Fan Newbie

Do you think that it's harder to make someone laugh or does making someone cry harder?? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if you think dramatic actors are more talented than comedic actors. For example, I thought Bill Murray should've won for his role in 'Lost in Translation,' however, Sean Penn won with his please-give-me-more-prozac acting (still very talented and deserving) in Mystic River. Do you feel that Hollywood focuses and recognizes dramatic performances than comdey???

proud asian fan,
Nayteus
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

I think the answer to that question is a mere matter of opinion.

To me, I think talent is based on the ACTOR, not what type of genre he/she is in.

HOWEVER, there are actors that typically do comedies and watching them do a drama is almost painful. For instance, Jim Carrey. He needs to stick to comedic performances in my opinion. He is hilarious, and it is almost difficult trying to watch him do a more dramatic role, because personally I am waiting for him to do his best Ace Ventura voice or something.

I don't think Hollywood focuses on more dramatic roles. There are tons of very successful comedies.

So, I don't think anyone could say a dramatic actor is "more talented" than a comedic actor. Its almost like comparing apples to oranges. They are different. Just because they are different, doesn't make one more desirable than the other, right?

I know you intended this question to be answered by Dat but I thought I'd give a little input on it. Hope you don't mind.